Please assign a menu to the primary menu location under menu


Concord-Carlisle defeats Lincoln-Sudbury in field hockey marathon – Boston Herald


CONCORD — Concord-Carlisle head coach Jacqui Turner had to hold back tears when talking about her 16th-seeded Patriots’ performance through two overtimes against a familiar foe in their Div. 1 first round matchup Monday night.

After rallying twice in the second half to move on in the tournament despite one of their key starters leaving for the hospital following a drive to the goggles, it’s hard to blame her.

With a tip to redirect the ball just enough out of line for a goal, Kate Francini broke the tie in double-overtime to help Concord-Carlisle secure an emotional 3-2 win over No. 17 Lincoln-Sudbury. It was the second goal of the night for Francini, who had to score her first with the team down a goal with just over five minutes left in regulation.

It was the perfect ending to a marathon of a game, fully completing a sensational comeback that at many points looked like would tip in Lincoln-Sudbury’s favor.

Concord-Carlisle's Julia Lambert, left, and Lincoln-Sudbury's Avery Cohen compete for the ball Monday in Concord. (Staff Photo By Chris Christo/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald)
Concord-Carlisle’s Julia Lambert, left, and Lincoln-Sudbury’s Avery Cohen compete for the ball Monday in Concord. (Staff Photo By Chris Christo/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald)

“We were able to do that for Kate Lyons, she’s at the hospital right now. Tonight was not going to be her last night,” Turner said. “I think we stuck it out. … The grit, determination, team sportsmanship – all-around from everyone from our field players on the field to our sideline, to our bench, to our book – everyone was doing their jobs. That’s what we needed today.”

With just one shot on goal at the break compared to the Warriors’ seven, the Patriots needed every bit of the grit they showed in the second half to pull off the upset. Especially when down a significant player like Lyons.

It wasn’t too long after the injury that Concord-Carlisle finally got on the board, only for Julia Lambert’s shot to be rescinded. Just a few minutes later, Lambert’s next goal – a missile across the circle – wouldn’t be called off for a 1-1 tie.

Back and forth the teams kept each other off the board until the middle of the fourth quarter, with Concord-Carlisle controlling play much of the way by keeping Lincoln-Sudbury without a shot in the third quarter.

That wouldn’t matter with about six minutes on the clock, though, as Reagan Malo scored the second of her two goals in the unlikeliest of ways – a shot ricocheting off the pipe to back-spin into the cage.

But without missing a beat, Concord-Carlisle stormed right back. The Patriots midfield worked the ball to the circle with ease, and less than a minute after falling behind again, Francini buried a rebound for the neutralizer again.

“Our team has shown (resilience) all season,” Turner said. “We’ve been able to come back, we’ve been able to show grit and determination. … You can’t want anything more than that as a coach.”

Lincoln-Sudbury nearly took the win in the first overtime, getting a breakaway directly after a Concord-Carlisle corner. Shot went left, though Lorena Neptune (10 saves) was having the kind of night that she’d stop it. And once the second overtime came, that that kind of night switched over to Francini, who tipped in a rocket from Lambert for the clincher.

Concord-Carlisle will take on No. 1 Walpole in the second round.


Source link